We don’t usually go in for New Year’s resolutions, but for 2020 we’re making an exception because we think it’s time we shared a little more about who we are and what we do – plus it means an insight into the amazing people who make Billington Group what it is.
1) We’re one of the largest, privately-owned businesses in the country.
In 2018 we ranked 57th in the 2018 Top Track 250 – a league table of Britain’s private mid-market growth companies.
2) Our group is made up of five businesses.
We’ve been around for more than 160 years and you could say that because of all this expertise and passion we’ve built up, that we now have our fingers in a lot of pies – so to speak! Our group is made up of multiple businesses covering all things food and farming – yep, we work in agriculture too!
- TSC Foods – you probably know TSC because of our world-food inspired Glorious! soups and sauces.
- Billington Foodservice – our world-class bakery and kitchen offerings for the UK’s bustling foodservice industry. Perfect pies and puds, through to soups, deli goods, meals and tasty sauces.
- English Provender Company – you’ll know and love lots of the EPC products. It’s all about flavour, great taste with a range of amazing sauces, condiments, dressings and more.
- Carrs Billington – production, supply and retail stores for feeds and associated products that include pet supplies, fuel products and machinery.
- Criddle and Co – a leading agriculture business, sourcing and supplying a wide range of products to feed manufacturers and processors all over the country.
- Made over nine million pies
- Poured over 16,000 tonnes of rape seed oil
- Produced 340,000 trays of brownie each year
- Cracked 103m eggs
4) We’re based in the famous Cunard Building in Liverpool.
With our roots firmly planted in the importing of goods back in the 1800s, it’s maybe not that surprising that we’re based on the water! While we have 12 locations as a Group, our HQ is in this imposing, Grade II listed building which was home to the Cunard Line until 1960.
5) In 2019 we launched our own charity foundation.
CSR and community relations are in our DNA as a Group. We love giving back to the communities in which we live and work and after years of fundraising and donations, we wanted to cement our legacy with this – The Billington Foundation. We’re now aligned with Buttle UK to help give vital funds to support bringing children out of poverty.
6) We’re not the sugar people!
It is something we get asked all the time, but we’re no longer the business behind Billington Sugar. We were, but you see, we’ve been in business since 1858 and while sugar is an important part of our heritage, we sold that to British Sugar in 2004.
7) The Billington Barn – our very own development kitchen.
We opened The Billington Barn in 2016. The barn’s contemporary kitchen is perfect to showcase the latest food trends and group food developments. Everything is prepared live to mirror the preparation our customers will experience. We’re really proud of the barn and all the ways it helps us stay ahead of the curve.
8) Billington Group has two shops open to the public!
Our two shops mean our team and the general public can take home our tasty meals, pies, sauces, desserts and more at great prices. Who doesn’t want restaurant quality food at home?!
9) We won 16 awards last year alone!
From Best Pie to Best New Bakery Product and everything in between, our people and our products are national award winners. In 2019 we brought home 16 awards! We’re really proud of this because the food and drink industries are incredibly competitive, so these accolades reflect not only our passion, but our expertise, too.
10) We’re champions of food and drink innovation and investment…
The proof is in the pudding here; we know innovation is one of those words that gets bandied around, but for us, it’s serious. So much so, that as well as opening the Billington Barn, we’re investing almost £20m in new factories for our brands, to ensure our processes, quality standards and production capabilities are market-leading.
Now you know a little bit more about us, so stay tuned for news and more updates on what’s going on at Billington HQ!